Sunday, September 23, 2007

Reading Emmanuel

Sometimes, I open a book, and the words that fall out are too serendipitous. Here's some advice on relationships that Emmanuel gives:

"Do not single out for special attention one human being whom you would then burden with responsibility for your growth. Relationship is not mutual responsibility. It is mutual love and self-discovery. When two people are bound beyond that, there is servitude and false authority. That is the destruction of relationship.

"What can another give you that you, in your essence, do not have? As you look into the eyes of another, your question is really 'Tell me who I am, for I have become so embedded in being the perceived that I need you to be the perceiver.'

"Ask yourself, 'Why do I place self-definition outside myself? Where am I awaiting approval? Where have I given over my authority?' Walk gently, lightly, and joyfully in this life you have chosen--and walk freely."

No comments: